Whilst trawling through some of my poetry files, I found this humourous little poem I wrote whilst I was sat in a hospital waiting room a few years back, passing the time.
It's dedicated to the volunteers who give freely of their time to serve the public with refreshments in our busy hospitals.
In these clothes I am...
Volunteer Dolly
with the squeaky-wheeled trolley
down the corridors I hurtle
with my neighbour, name of Myrtle.
With our floral pinnies pristine
from the laundry...pressed by Christine
we pour out the treacle coffee
and restock the choice of toffee.
Our services we render
with compassion, oh so tender
to the patients who are needy
and their visitors, so greedy!
In the W.V.S (Womens Voluntary Service)
we put up with so much stress
smile a thousand times a day
hum and whistle hours away
As we boldly sell our wares
we ignore intrusive stares
keep decorum in the queue
give directions to the loo
Thirty years have been and gone
since we joined this merry throng
so much time to smile and serve
what a varied learning curve
Myrtle says we should retire
when our creaky bones expire
take a cruise around the Med
put our feet up, stay in bed
What? my life with out a trolley?
I AM VOLUNTEER DOLLY...
Ellen Johns 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment